Ah time complexity,
Seems reasonable that in a course called Introduction to the Theory of Computation we'd examine run-times. I must say although it took a while to grasp in 165 and will probably take an equally long time to RE-grasp in 236 this is a topic I am genuinely interested in. It's nice to know the fewest cuts to break apart chocolate but not actually practical. nor does it have any important implications. Understanding how long a program will take to run on the other hand seems VERY important. I am reminded of a story Diane told us in CSC108 in which her and her colleagues were going to solve a complex problem relating to U of T student data but upon examining the run time it just wasn't feasible.
To help me understand time complexity I decided I would apply it to my everyday life and decided to measure the time complexity of my dinner last night, unfortunately my calculations were off because I kept 'goin back four seconds'.
Carl
No comments:
Post a Comment