Sunday, 14 October 2012

Reflections on A1 + Test

Well, CSC236 is quickly becoming twice the beast CSC165 was, I'm spending nearly everyday studying for it and it is consuming most of my time. Thus I propose a new proof strategy used by many leaders throughout history that might help all of us out and save loads of time.
-> Proof by Imagination: "Well, We'll pretend its true."

A1:
Assignment 1:
I was able to solve questions 1,2,4 in reasonable amounts of time. The problem then became making sure that I could formalise them rigorously. Question 3 on the other hand took a bit more time, I quickly recognised the combination formula buried in the question and notice the relationship between the successive steps. I was just unsure how to explain via set logic the connection; then I thought back to Danny's lecture where he described the 2^n subsets problem. In it he took to parts to the problem; all the sets with the last element and all without, he then appended the last element to the first group of sets to obtain the second group. Once I established this connection and applied similar logic the problem was doable.

Test 1:
I am hesitant to see my Test 1 result. Although I believe it was a fair test, during tests/quizzes I tend become flustered and problems which would easily have been solved on my own become much more difficult now that there is a time limit. I have started implementing a new strategy in studying where I time myself doing old tests yet it doesn't seem to replicate the anxiety of actually writing the test.

Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment